The climate of Kibale National Park (Climate in Kibale Forest) features a tropical climate that’s characterized by high rainfall and high temperatures all year round.
The location of Kibale National Park generally affects its climate. Kibale Forest is in southwestern Uganda at 0030 North and 3024 East, just near the Equator. This location greatly affects the weather and climate of the park.
During the daytime in Kibale, temperatures go over 270C and fall to almost 150C during the night.
The altitude also affects the climate in Kibale National Park. Its highest point is 1,600m above sea level and the lowest is 1,100m. The lowest is on the floor of the western arm of the rift valley.
Normally, Kibale Forest lacks a real dry season! However, the months of June-August are drier and so is December-February.
Kibale Uganda experiences 2 (two) wet seasons. These include March-May and September-November but, sunlight always comes out during the day.
Below Are The Characteristics Of The Tropical Climate In Kibale National Park
- The area receives high rainfall all year round. Usually about 1700mm per annum.
- There are two wet seasons annually. These include March–May and September–November.
- The park also experiences two dry seasons counting June-August and December-February.
- The climate of Kibale National Park experiences warm temperatures all year round. Usually, the average annual temperature ranges from 25-280C. This is because the tropics get much exposure to the sun.
- Most times, the average monthly temperature of Kibale is above 180C.
- The area receives Convectional rainfall.
Dry Months In Kibale National Park
The fact that the climate of Kibale forest national park is tropical, it lacks a real dry season. Therefore, rain is possible any time of the day!
However, drier months in Kibale Forest include:
- December-February and,
Advantages Of Visiting Kibale Park In Dry Months
- During the dry months, the weather and climate in Kibale are ideal for all Uganda safari activities in Kibale National Park. Rainfall chances are minimal all day long!
- Normally, during the drier months, the trails for Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park are drier and passable, ideal for nature walks.
Disadvantages Of Visiting Kibale Uganda During Dry Months
- Frequently, dry months are the peak season for tourism in Uganda. And thus, parks in Uganda, Kibale inclusive tend to be crowded. Therefore, also the price of tourism products usually gets high in response to the flow of visitors coming into the country!
What To Have While Visiting Kibale National Park In Dry Months
While visiting Kibale National Park in these months, it’s ideal to have the following since minimal rainfall is expected.
- A rain jacket as it might drizzle any time!
- Insect repellents are so ideal as the Kibale Forest might be prone to biting insects.
Wet Months In Kibale Forest National Park
Just like other national parks in Uganda, the climate of Kibale forest national park experiences two rainy seasons including:
- March-May and,
During these months in Kibale, rain is expected most hours of the day!
Therefore, most of the activities in Kibale National Park like Chimpanzee trekking, birding, and also Bigodi swamp walk become challenging to handle.
April and October are the wettest months in Kibale park however, even during these months, sunshine always comes out.
Also, the temperatures remain high (over 270C during day time and hardly fall under 150C at night)…. Remember, Uganda is the Pearl of Africa!
Advantages Of Visiting Kibale National Park In Wet Months
- Normally, in Uganda, Kibale inclusive, wet months are generally a low tourism season. Therefore, this means low costs for most tourism products counting accommodation.
This period is ideal for budget travelers! You just have to get ready for some mud!
- Also, this period in Kibale Forest is a blessing in disguise for visitors interested in Chimpanzee trekking. During this time, there’s plenty of food in the forest from fruiting trees.
As a result, chimps rarely move deeper into the jungle searching for food. Thus, they’re easily spotted unlike in the dry months when visitors have to trek deeper into the forest.
Disadvantages Of Visiting Uganda Kibale In Wet Months
- In these months, some trail points in Kibale Forest might get slippery and challenging to hike.
- Also, the forest usually gets humid and it’s more likely to drizzle most hours of the day. And thus, affecting your adventure.
What To Have While Visiting Kibale In Wet Months
While visiting Kibale in wet months, its idyllic to move with the following:
- A rain jacket
- Waterproofed hiking boots
- A 4WD safari vehicle is recommended as some roads to Kibale might get slippery.
The climate in Kibale National Park is indeed temperate. It allows visitors on Uganda safaris to visit the park all year round.
However, travelers should note that the best time to visit Kibale is during the dry months of June-August and December-February. During this time, the trails are drier, mud free and minimal rainfall is expected.
March-May and September-November are wet months in Kibale and much rainfall is expected in the park.
Please, Feel Free To Email Us With Any Inquiries About Your Safari In Uganda
FAQs About The Kibale National Park Climate
What Are The Factors That Affect The Climate in Kibale National Park?
The following are the factors that affect the Kibale National Park climate:
Distance from the Equator
The distance from the equator greatly affects the climate of the place. Normally, areas near the Equator line experience a tropical climate.
This climatic zone is characterized by warm conditions throughout plus 2 (two) dry and wet seasons all year round.
Kibale Forest is located at 0030 North and 3024 East, almost near the Equator.
More so, altitude is another factor that affects the climate in Kibale forest national park. Usually, areas at a higher altitude experience lower temperatures than areas at a low altitude.
The highest point of Kibale is 1,600m above sea level and the lowest is 1,100m on the rift valley floor.
What Is The Best Season To Visit Kibale National Park?
The best season to visit Kibale National Park is during the dry months of June-August and also in December-February. In these months, minimum rainfall is expected in the rainforest of Kibale and the trails are drier– mud free! Thus, easy to hike!
March-April and September-November are wet months in Kibale Forest. During these months, rainfall is expected most hours of the day and it can inconvenience your activities.
What To Park While Visting Kibale National Park?
Since Kibale is a tropical rainforest, the weather and climate of Kibale National Park is almost similar year-round. Therefore, the packing list in the drier months is the same as that in the wet months. Among these include:
A rain jacket
It’s so vital as it will protect you in case the rain gets you in the jungle.
These will safeguard you from any possibility of biting insects in the jungle. And among these include Mosquitoes if any.
Comfortable sturdy waterproof boots are suggested as these protect you in case you encounter slippery and soggy conditions along the trail.
Long-sleeved shirts and trousers
These will protect your body from all possibilities of any scratches, cuttings, and insect bites while in the jungle.
This is a must-have gadget! It helps you to capture amazing photos of numerous wildlife you’ll encounter along the trail. Your camera must have a good zooming lens to capture features at a far distance.
For birders, these help you to have clear views of birds in tree canopies and distant places.
Sunglasses and sunhats
Help to protect you from sunlight and direct sunshine.
This helps to keep all your gadgets safe. Among these include cameras, binoculars, extra clothes, and packed lunch.
Which Is The Warmest Month In Kibale Forest National Park?
Normally, the climate of Kibale forest national park is very warm in February. During this month, day temperatures can rise to over 280C. Still, this is the warmest month in Uganda.
Which Is The Coldest Month In Kibale Forest National Park?
The coldest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 23.8°C and a minimum is 17.80C.
Which Is The Wettest Month In Kibale Forest National Park?
Though Kibale National Park receives rainfall all year round, October is the wettest month in the park.
Which Is The Driest Month In Kibale Forest National Park?
Although Jan-February and December-February are the drier months in Kibale National Park, January is the driest among all.