Home » Uganda Safaris, Best Safari in Uganda Safari Vacations
Uganda Safaris, Best Safari in Uganda Safari Vacations
Uganda safari tours/safaris in Uganda rank among the best East African safaris! We bring you amazing Uganda safaris & vacations to the best Uganda safari parks for the ultimate African safari in Uganda memories.
Uganda the Pearl of Africa is one of the top amazing tourist destinations in East Africa you shouldn’t miss visiting in the world of adventure.
Travelers on Uganda trips will enjoy dazzling scenery, a pleasant climate as well as a diversity of amazing attractions. This is especially in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, and Murchison Falls Park. And thus, safaris in Uganda are always remarkable!
Uganda is globally known as the best place for spotting Mountain gorillas in Africa. This country holds almost 50% of the 1,063 Mountain gorillas living on Earth.
Uganda gorilla trekking tours mainly take place in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park– a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1994. However, gorilla tracking is also possible in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
In Africa, Uganda chimpanzee tours in Kibale forest national park rank as the best! Over 5,000 chimpanzees are recorded in Uganda and most live in Kibale National Park.
What Else Uganda Safaris tours are Special & Memorable!
Not only is Uganda known for primate safaris in Africa but, it offers other expeditions. And among these include Uganda wildlife safari trips, especially in Murchison Falls National Park, National Park Queen Elizabeth, Lake Mburo National Park, and Kidepo Valley National Parks.
On your Uganda game-viewing trip, expect to encounter various game animals. These include Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Buffalos, and Rhinos.
For bird lovers, Uganda is a paradise for you! It holds over 1,090 bird species which is about 50% of birds in Africa and 11% of birds in the entire world. Most birding Uganda tours take place in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Kibale National Park, National Park Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Park, Lake Mburo National Park, and Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
Normally, most visitors on birding trips in Uganda are interested in spotting the Shoebill, Grauer’s Broadbill, African Fish Eagles, and Green-breasted Pitta.
Other fascinating Uganda tours include wild adventure safaris like Bungee jumping, kayaking, and white water rafting on the Nile River. For mountain climbers, mountain hiking Uganda tours rank the bests in Africa!
All Uganda holidays and trips are safe and can take place all year round!
All Uganda safari destinations such as Queen Elizabeth National Park, Murchison Park, and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest holds various accommodation classes for you! Therefore, Uganda is economically friendly to all travelers.
For a memorable safari experience in Africa, endeavor to include Uganda on your destination list. Always book with reliable tour operators!
If interested in knowing much about Uganda holiday safaris, let’s go deeper!
Types of Safaris in Uganda | Types of African Safaris in Uganda
The following is a detail of all Uganda trips and safaris:
1. Gorilla Trekking Uganda Tours | Uganda Gorilla Safari trips
This is a once-a-lifetime experience giving you a golden opportunity of spotting the endangered Mountain gorillas in their natural habitat. For example, in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
These gentle giants (Mountain gorillas) are among the rarest primates in the world! Therefore, for nature lovers on the African continent encountering them in their misty environment is worth undertaking.
Please note that Mountain gorillas can’t survive in captivity.
Uganda gorilla tracking safaris are only done in:
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park,
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
However, the Impenetrable forest national park (a tropical rainforest) offers the best experience on your gorilla Uganda trip and E. Africa! It holds over 50% of the 1,063 gorillas on Earth!
On your gorilla safari holidays in Uganda, sturdy hiking boots are ideal.
The best time for Mountain gorillas Uganda safari expeditions in Bwindi National Park is always in the dry months of June-August and December-February. The trails in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest are always drier!
Ø We can arrange for you a Mountain gorilla group as well as a private tour to encounter Mountain gorillas e.g. in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
How Much is Gorilla Safari in Uganda?
Often, visitors intending to undertake Uganda gorilla trekking tours e.g. in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park are inquisitive about this safari price!
Note that, the price of a Mountain gorilla safari trip in Uganda is determined by various factors and some of these include:
- The number of days you’ll spend on your gorilla trip.
- Accommodation class to use on your Uganda gorilla safari.
- Safari vehicle you’re to use on your gorilla Uganda holidays
- The number of people on your safari, etc.
Is Gorilla Trekking in Uganda Worth It?
Is gorilla trekking worth the money? Undeniably, this Uganda adventure safari is worth the money, and below is how:
- Mountain gorillas can’t survive in a zoo! Therefore, a big percentage of the fee is channeled into conserving their habitat, fo
- Also, a lot of this money is used in paying for park rangers who keep Mountain gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park as well as Mgahinga Gorilla National Park.
- Furthermore, a percentage of the money is given back to develop the surrounding communities around parks e.g. Batwa around Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga national park.
- On your Uganda gorilla safari, encountering the gentle giant (the endangered Mountain gorilla) is worth the money. It’s one of the most memorable wild adventure tours in Africa!
2. Uganda Chimpanzee Trekking Safaris | Chimpanzee Trekking in Uganda Expeditions
Chimpanzee expeditions are among the amazing things that you shouldn’t miss on your Uganda tours!
This charming experience gives you an exciting encounter with the man’s closest genetic relatives (chimps) in their natural habitat. According to science, chimps share over 98-99% of DNA similar to that of man.
In Africa, Uganda Chimpanzee tours rank as the best!
The top sites to track Chimpanzees on your Uganda tour vacations include:
- Kibale forest national park
- Kalinzu Forest near National Park Queen Elizabeth and,
- Budongo Forest.
Among the above, you should visit Kibale National Park for the best chimp Uganda expeditions! Kibale forest national park holds the highest population of 5,000 Chimpanzees recorded in Uganda.
Chimpanzee tours in Uganda Kibale National Park are best done during the dry months of Uganda.
3. Bird-Watching Safaris in Uganda | Birding Tours in Uganda
Bird-watching trips in Uganda are among the main reasons why many travelers come to Uganda.
Destination Uganda is a birding paradise in Africa with over 1,090 bird species which is almost 50% of birds in Africa. Therefore, on a birding safari in Africa, don’t miss a Uganda safari.
In Africa, Uganda is the best place for spotting the Shoebill, Green-breasted Pitta, Neumann’s Warbler, Rwenzori Turaco, Shelley’s Crimsonwing, African Fish Eagles, etc.
The best Uganda safari bird-watching sites include:
- Queen Elizabeth National Park– This Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park boasts the highest checklist of Uganda safari birds.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park– On your birding Uganda safari vacation, this park Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is the best place in Africa to spot Albertine Endemic bird species.
- Kibale forest national park– This Park, Kibale National Park is about a 26km drive from Fort Portal town, holding a viable population of the Green-breasted Pitta in Africa.
- Murchison Falls National Park- This scenic Park is known for Shoebills on birding Uganda safari tours as well as on the African continent.
- Kidepo national park– the best area to spot the birds of prey in Uganda.
- Lake Mburo National Park– On birding Uganda safari trips, this Park, Lake Mburo National Park is known for acacia-dwelling birds.
- Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary– Some possibilities of spotting the Shoebill here!
4. Wildlife Viewing Safaris in Uganda | Uganda Wildlife Safari Tours
Boasting over 10 protected areas all under Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA), Uganda is one of the countries offering the best wildlife viewing safaris in Africa.
Uganda wildlife safari expeditions offer you a golden opportunity of encountering all the wildlife of Uganda. Commonly, they’re done by undertaking game drives, and boat ride, as well as a wildlife walking safari for example, in Lake Mburo National Park.
During your wildlife safari in Uganda, expect to encounter all the wildlife wildlife species in Uganda counting:
- The Big Five
- Colorful birds and,
- Numerous Antelopes like Uganda Kobs.
The top sites for wildlife tours in Uganda include:
a. QUEEN ELIZABETH NATIONAL PARK
Queen Elizabeth National Park is the only site to find tree-climbing Lions in Uganda and various wildlife. This park is about 2 hours drive from Fort Portal town adjacent to Kibale forest national park.
Other East African destinations to spot the tree-climbing Lions include Serengeti and Lake Manyara national parks all in Tanzania.
b. MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK
Murchison Falls National Park ranks top among the best national parks in Uganda to spot a variety of wild animals, primates & bird species.
c. KIDEPO NATIONAL PARK in NORTHERN UGANDA
Kidepo Valley National Park is referred to as a true African wilderness due to its untouched golden beauty!
Among Uganda’s national parks, Cheetahs can only be spotted here.
d. LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK UGANDA
Lake Mburo National Park boasts the highest concentration of Leopards per square Kilometre in E. Africa. It’s also the only site to spot Impalas among national parks in Uganda. Visitors can enjoy a nature walk (guided tour) here.
e. ZIWA RHINO SANCTUARY
Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary is the only site to spot Rhinos in Uganda in the wild! A private tour to visit Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary can be arranged.
5. Boat Cruise Safaris in Uganda | Uganda Safari Boat Tours
Boat cruises in Uganda offer you a tranquil experience of exploring the wildlife of Uganda found in the water. Usually, those along the lakes as well as riverbanks probably.
Normally, these include game animals, reptiles, and several birds of Uganda which can’t be spotted clearly on land.
During your holiday safari in Uganda, the top sites for boat voyage include:
1. Boat cruises on Kazinga Channel in Queen Elizabeth National Park: A boat ride on this 32km long natural channel offers a close encounter with most animals in National Park Queen Elizabeth. A private tour on the cruise is possible.
2. Cruising on River Nile in Murchison Falls National Park: This cruise offers you scenic views of Murchison Falls (the world’s most powerful falls) as well as a chance of exploring the Nile Lake Albert Area! While in the delta area, expect to spot the elusive Shore bill!
3. Lake Bunyonyi– Known for its beautiful scenery. On your visit, you’ll explore all the dazzling islands of Lake Bunyonyi. You can take a private tour (boat ride to explore Lake Bunyonyi Islands.
Numerous birds and wild animals can be spotted along the River banks (Victoria Nile) during the cruise.
Other areas for boat cruise tours in Uganda include:
- Lake Victoria boat trip
- Boat cruise in Jinja. Here you’ll explore River Nile (Victoria Nile) as it leaves Lake Victoria.
- Lake Bunyonyi boat ride and,
- Boat trip on Lake Mburo in Lake Mburo National Park etc.
As tour operators, we can arrange for you a rewarding private tour (boat trip) for a notable experience.
6. Gorilla Habituation Experience Safaris in Uganda Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
The gorilla habituation experience is a charming wild adventure worth undertaking! It offers you a chance of visiting a gorilla family undergoing habituation.
During this thrilling 4 hours adventure in Uganda, you’ll accompany a group of scientists, researchers, trackers, and rangers into the misty jungle.
This lifetime experience offers you a great chance of learning about the amazing behaviors of gorillas in their natural setting.
In Africa, Uganda is the only place offering a gorilla habituation experience! This wild adventure is only done in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park on the Bikingi gorilla family in the Rushaga sector.
The Gorilla habituation experience is ideal for researchers on gorillas.
Just like Uganda gorilla trekking safaris, gorilla habituation experience safaris are also best done in dry months.
7. Chimpanzee Habituation Experience Tours in Uganda Kibale National Park
Chimpanzee Habituation Experience is also among the top amazing adventure safaris in Uganda worth undertaking.
It involves spending a half or full day with a chimp community undergoing habituation in the jungle.
You’ll accompany a group of experienced researchers, doctors, trackers, as well as rangers who ensure your safety.
This unforgettable experience offers you a golden chance of learning many fascinating Chimpanzee behaviors.
As experienced tour operators for safari tours in Uganda, we recommend Kibale forest national park as the best site for the chimpanzee habituation experience.
However, you can go for this rewarding experience in Budongo Forest home to about 600-700 Chimpanzees population. It’s a scenic tropical rainforest near Murchison Park.
8. Uganda Adventure Safaris | Uganda Adventure Tours
Travelers interested in undertaking memorable adventure fun activities on top of their holidays in Africa, Uganda is the best place to be!
This country offers various charming adventure activities ideal for all kinds of visitors. However, some Uganda adventure tours are ideal for Lion hearted people!
Top adventure Uganda trips include:
1. Mountain hiking tours in Uganda: The prominent include hiking the snow-capped peaks of Rwenzori but, volcano hiking is also possible in Virunga ranges in Mgahinga Gorilla National. Also, visitors can hike Mt. Elgon in Mount Elgon National Park, Eastern Uganda.
2. Ziplining tours in Uganda: Mabira Ziplining offers the best experience but it’s also possible in south western Uganda along the serene waters of Lake Bunyonyi.
3. White water rafting on the River Nile in Jinja on Itanda Falls.
4. Bungee jumping into River Nile, the longest river in the world: This is for the Lion hearted people! However, bungee jumping into the Legendary Nile (the world’s longest river) is worth undertaking.
5. Horseback riding tours: These are mostly done in Lake Mburo National Park as well as in Jinja town along the River Nile.
6. Mountain biking (cycling tours) in Uganda: This is mostly done in Mpanga Tea Estates in Fort Portal.
Other amazing adventure trips worth undertaking include:
- Quad biking in Jinja, Eastern Uganda
- Kayaking on River Nile
- Horseback safaris in Lake Mburo National Park.
- Jet boating along the Nile- the longest river in the world, 6,650km long.
- Tubing on the Nile
- Hot air balloon safari experience in Murchison Falls Park.
9. Cultural Tours in Uganda | Cultural Experiences in Uganda
Cultural tours in Uganda are among the thrilling adventures that most visitors undertake on top of their safari.
Among safari destinations in East Africa, cultural trips in Uganda rank among the best!
During your cultural encounters in Uganda, you will get a memorable close encounter with the local people. This will offer you a golden opportunity of exploring the fascinating beliefs, traditions, and customs of people in Uganda.
Normally, on your safaris in Uganda, the prominent cultural trips include:
- Batwa (Pygmy) cultural encounters in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- Visiting the pastoral Karamajongs and IK people around Kidepo national park.
- Undertaking Bigodi village walk around Kibale forest national park.
- Community walks around Lake Bunyonyi National Park. It’s a memorable guided tour visiting charming Bakiga people around Lake Bunyonyi.
Please note that, during your Uganda cultural safari, you’ll always be led by a professional local guide! This is so common especially while undertaking cultural walking safaris in communities e.g. around Kibale forest national park and also around Lake Bunyonyi.
10. Kampala City Tour | Kampala Day Tour
The Kampala city tour is one of the thrilling activities every traveler must not miss on top of their Uganda trip for a notable experience.
Kampala day trip (guided tour) allows you to explore the amazing attractions and activities in the great capital of Uganda (Kampala).
Usually, tourists undertaking Kampala walking tour (day trip) visit:
- The vibrant local markets in Kampala e.g. Owino is rarely missed on Kampala walking tour expeditions.
- Charming taxi park of Uganda- Also common during Kampala city walking tour.
- Kasubi Royal tombs- the burial grounds for former Kings of Buganda
- Kabaka’s Lake- biggest man-made in Uganda
- Gadaffi Mosque for great panoramic views of Kampala on top of a minaret!
- Namugongo Martyrs Shrine- a site where Uganda Martyrs were burnt from.
Often, tourists undertake this walking tour on the first day or the last day of their safari trip in Uganda.
The best time to undertake the Kampala walking tour (day trip) is during the dry months when rainfall is minimal.
11. Uganda Fishing Safaris | Sport Fishing in Uganda Safaris
Due to numerous fishing grounds, Uganda fishing safaris offer the best experience in E. Africa for international anglers on safari trips in Africa.
Among the top sites for game fishing in Uganda include:
- Fishing on Lake Victoria
- Along the Nile (the world’s longest river) in Murchison falls park
- Lake Mburo in Lake Mburo National Park
Usually, Uganda fishing trips can run for half a day or a whole day. You’ll always fish in the company of a local fishing guide who will lead you to the best fishing spots on modern boats.
During your Uganda fishing safari, expect a great opportunity of catching the world’s largest freshwater fish the Nile Perch.
Other common fish caught on your Uganda fishing trip includes:
- Catfish- Semutundu and,
- Lungfish, etc.
12. Agro Tours in Uganda | Agro Safaris in Uganda
Although Uganda is famously known for gorillas, chimpanzees, wildlife, and birding trips in Africa, it’s also an ideal site for agro-tours!
Since 80% of Uganda’s population is employed and depends on agriculture. And therefore, undertaking an agro tour in Uganda on top of your safari is the best way of exploring most of the farming systems and the crops grown in Uganda. It’s always a guided tour!
Generally, agro-tourism in Uganda takes you to small-scale as well as large-scale firms. This gives you a great opportunity of learning about the agriculture of Uganda!
Visitors on agro trips in Uganda normally visit:
- Coffee farms around National Park Queen Elizabeth and those on the foothills of Mount Elgon National Park.
- Banana Plantation in western Uganda in the Mbarara district
- Tea Plantation for example Mpanga Tea Estates in Kabarole district, adjacent to Kibale National Park.
- Cattle farms, especially those around Lake Mburo National Park
For a lovely experience, a private tour can be organized for you!
Top Tourist Attractions in Uganda – What to See in Uganda on A Safari
In Africa, Uganda ranks among the top destinations with fascinating attractions worth exploring while on your safari in Africa.
The major tourist attractions in Uganda (best tourist attractions in Uganda) include:
1. Fascinating Primates of Uganda
Uganda holds numerous primates, however, the prominent ones include Chimpanzees, Golden Monkeys, and Mountain gorillas.
Others include Olive Baboons, Vervet Monkeys, Black-and-white Colobus, Red-tailed Monkeys, Bush baby, etc.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Kibale forest national park are the best parks for primate trips in Uganda. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is known for gorillas.
2. Amazing Game Animals in Uganda
Uganda boasts a range of game animals counting the Big Five and many others.
Top sites for spotting game animals in Uganda include:
a. Queen Elizabeth National Park
b. Murchison Falls National Park
c. Kidepo Valley National Park
d. Lake Mburo National Park
e. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
f. Kibale forest national park
Here is a list of the best animals to see in Uganda:
9. Nile Crocodiles and,
10. Numerous Antelopes like Elands, Uganda Kobs, Hartebeests, Bushbucks, etc.
3. Beautiful Birds in Uganda
Uganda holds a rich birdlife totaling over 1,090 in number. They’re categorized into forest birds, water birds, migratory, as well as Albertine endemic bird species, etc.
Below are some of the most sought-after birds in Uganda:
- Great-blue Turaco
- Yellow-throated Bee-eaters
- Green-breasted Pitta
- African Fish Eagles
- Grey-crowned Cranes
- Handsome Francolin and,
- Double-toothed Barbets
Usually, the top birding areas in Uganda include:
a. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Kibale forest national park, and Queen Elizabeth National Park- all in western Uganda on the Rift Valley floor.
b. Murchison falls park as well,
c. Kidepo national park in northern Uganda.
Other Amazing Attractions in Uganda Include:-
4. Scenic mountains counting the beautiful snow-capped peaks of Rwenzori as well as Mountain Elgon in Mount Elgon National Park.
5. Dazzling lakes such as Lake Victoria- Africa’s biggest lake and Lake Bunyonyi. Uganda’s Lake Bunyonyi is the 2nd deepest lake in Africa while Lake Victoria is the biggest Lake in Africa.
6. Scenic islands in Uganda for example, Ssese Islands in Lake Victoria and the great historical Islands of Lake Bunyonyi. Lake Bunyo holds over 29 dazzling islands.
7. Lush tropical rain forests like Mabira Forest, Budongo Forest as well as Kibale forest national park.
8. Legendary Rivers such as River Nile, holding its source on Lake Victoria.
9. Amazing people in Uganda like the Batwa (Pygmies) of Bwindi and Mgahinga national park.
10. Breath-taking falls such as Murchison Falls.
Best Places to Visit in Uganda | Destinations in Uganda to Visit?
During your Uganda holiday safari, there’re numerous places to visit and among these include:
1. National Parks in Uganda
How many safari parks are there in Uganda? Uganda holds 10 national parks counting savannah parks, and Mountaine as well as rainforest parks.
National parks rank among the top touristic places to visit in Uganda. Each of the parks in Uganda holds a unique tourist attraction worth exploring!
The commonly visited parks in Uganda include:
a. Bwindi Park Uganda covering about 321km2, is prominently known for Mountain gorilla safari trips. Usually, visitors top up relaxation on Lake Bunyonyi on their visit to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
b. Murchison Falls NP for game-viewing safaris
c. Queen Elizabeth Park for Uganda wildlife watching safari tours.
d. Kibale forest national park for primate safaris, specifically Uganda chimpanzee safaris.
e. Lake Mburo National Park- Among national parks in Uganda, Lake Mburo National Park offers the most thrilling day trip walking tour.
f. Mgahinga national park for Mountain gorilla safari trips and spotting Golden Monkeys (Golden Monkey trekking).
2. National Game Reserves in Uganda
National game reserves are also among the exciting destinations in Uganda worth visiting on your private tour. There’re over 12 Uganda game reserves and the most commonly visited include:
- Pian Upe Game Reserve in north-eastern Uganda, en-route to Kidepo national park.
- Kyambura Game Reserve adjacent to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Kabwoya Game Reserve- another site for horseback safaris in Uganda after Lake Mburo National Park.
- Matheniko Game Reserve- just adjacent to Kidepo national park and,
- Toro-Semuliki Game Reserve, etc.
3. The Source Of The Nile in Jinja
The source of the Nile in Jinja ranks top among the best places to visit in Uganda for adventure lovers!
While here, you’ll explore the source of the mythical Nile River. Also, visitors can undertake white water rafting, tubing, Bungee jumping, and Kayaking on the Nile.
4. Sanctuaries in Uganda
The Pearl of Africa Uganda holds over 13 sanctuaries and some of them rank among the top places to visit in Uganda. Below are the prominent sanctuaries in Uganda:
a. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary: The only area to spot wild Rhinos in Uganda. It’s a prominent stopover for tourists visiting Murchison falls park.
b. Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary in Lake Victoria: Commonly known for Chimpanzee watching tours.
c. Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary around Kibale National Park: Known for Uganda birding tours.
5. Uganda Forests
There’re over 506 forests in Uganda, however, some of the commonly visited forests include:
a. Budongo Forest, adjacent to Murchison Park: It’s one of the best areas offering chimpanzee tours in Uganda. Also, it’s an ideal site for walking safaris in Uganda.
b. Mabira Forest: This is one of the best places to visit in Uganda Africa if interested in undertaking a ziplining experience.
c. Kalinzu Forest: Adjacent to Queen Elizabeth National Park visited to track Chimpanzees.
d. Maramagambo Forest in Queen Elizabeth National Park: Commonly visited by tourists for nature walks (walking tour).
6. Mountains in Uganda-H3
Mountains also make up beautiful places in Uganda worth visiting! And among the commonly visited mountains in Uganda include:
a. Rwenzori Mountains: Mountain Rwenzori is mainly visited for Uganda hiking safaris. Rising over 5,109m above sea level, Mt. Rwenzori holds snow-capped peaks all year round and offers international hiking experiences.
b. The striking Virunga Volcanoes: These are normally visited on top of the gorilla safari in Mgahinga Park.
c. Mount Elgon: This is also one of the most commonly visited Uganda mountains. Normally it’s visited by tourists undertaking adventure safaris in eastern Uganda.
7. Cultural Sites in Uganda-H3
Normally, cultural sites are visited by travelers on top of their safari trips in Uganda. The commonly visited cultural sites in Uganda include:
a. Kasubi Royal Tombs in Kampala- This is an amazing burial ground for the former kings of Buganda. A private tour can be organized on your visit here.
In 2001, it was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its unique way of construction using only vegetal material! It’s a must not miss site during your Kampala city tour!
b. Amabere Ga Nyinamwiru Caves Area- Found in Fort Portal, this is also one of the great cultural sites of the Tooro Kingdom worth visiting due to its fascinating history.
It’s commonly visited on top of a Uganda trip to Kibale forest national park.
c. Sezibwa Falls- Normally, this is visited by travelers, en-route to Mabira Forest or Jinja on the source of the Nile tour.
Other Amazing Cultural Sites in Uganda Worth Visiting:-
- Uganda Museum
- Kabaka’s Lake
- Mengo palace
Uganda Safari Activities- What to Do in Uganda Africa?
Uganda is one of the few African countries a must not miss on your tour plan while intending to have a holiday safari in Africa. This is due to its various unique safari activities!
Below are the top tourist activities in Uganda (things to do in Uganda Africa) on your holiday:
1. Gorilla Tracking in Uganda
This is the highlight of all safari activities in Uganda! It’s an incredible safari activity allowing you to encounter the endangered Mountain gorillas in their natural environment for example, in Bwindi.
Note that, a Mountain gorilla is the largest primate on earth. They can weigh about 180kg.
The ideal site to track Mountain gorillas in Uganda is Bwindi Impenetrable National Park though also possible in Mgahinga national park.
For a memorable gorilla trekking in Uganda vacation adventure experience, normally travelers visit Lake Bunyonyi- Uganda’s most scenic lake for relaxation after the gorilla adventure.
Mountain gorillas expedition can be done as a private tour or group tour.
2. Chimpanzee Trekking in Uganda
Also, this is one of the charming tourism activities and it’s hardly missed by travelers on holidays in Uganda! It offers you a golden opportunity of trekking Chimpanzees in the jungle e.g. in Kibale forest national park
The experience of spotting man’s closest cousins in their habitat is worth undertaking.
Usually, most trips for Uganda chimpanzee trekking take place in Kibale National Park but, are also possible in Kalinzu rainforests just near Queen Elizabeth National Park.
3. Bird-Watching in Uganda
Uganda is one of the best birding sites on the African continent! This birding haven (Uganda) holds over 1,090 bird species which is approximately 50% of birds in Africa!
Among the most desired birds in Uganda include Shoebill, Green-breasted Pitta in Kibale forest national park, Grauers Broadbill, Great-blue Turaco, Shelly’s Crimsonwing, Red-throated Bee-eaters, etc.
The top sites for birdwatching in Uganda include:
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park– Most birding expeditions in Bwindi Uganda take place in Buhoma and Ruhija sectors.
- Murchison Falls National Park
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Kibale National Park and,
- Kidepo Valley National Park, etc.
4. Game Viewing in Uganda
Game viewing is also one of the popular activities done by travelers undertaking safari trips in Uganda.
It’s commonly done by undertaking game drives, nature walks, as well as boat trips.
This amazing activity offers you an opportunity to spot most of the animals in Uganda. And among these include Lions, Leopards, Rhinos, herds of Buffalos, Elephants, Giraffes, Hippos, Zebras, antelopes, etc. Also, during your game viewing, expect to encounter various birds and beautiful primates.
Here are the key sites for game viewing in Uganda:
- Murchison Falls National Park
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary- the only site to spot Rhinos in Uganda
- Lake Mburo Park
- Kibale forest national park
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga national park: are ideal sites for primates in Uganda.
Other Amazing Tourist Activities in Uganda A Must Not Miss Include:-
5. Boat cruising trips in Murchison Falls National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park as well as Lake Mburo Park. You can also have it on Lake Bunyonyi- Uganda’s most beautiful lake!
6. Fascinating cultural experiences in Uganda. For example, visiting the endangered Batwa people around Bwindi National Park. Among others, you can visit the pastoral Karamajong people around Kidepo Valley National Park. Community walks are also possible around Lake Bunyonyi.
7. Mountain climbing and hiking.
8. Bungee jumping in the Nile in Jinja and,
9. White water rafting on the legendary Nile River, etc.
Packing List for Uganda Safari- What to Pack for Uganda Safari Tours
While planning to come to Uganda for a safari, there’re some essential things you shouldn’t miss out on your packing list!
Below is the Uganda packing list for a safari:
- Safari gadgets: Such as a camera, binoculars, and 3-pin UK-style adapter.
- Sturdy hiking boots: Especially, if you’re to take a Mountain gorilla trekking experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- Rain jacket in case rain gets you in the jungle for example, during gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- Insect repellents: Protects you from biting insects like Mosquitoes especially, in forest parks like Kibale National Park.
- Sun protection gear: They help while in savannah national parks like Queen Elizabeth National Park, Murchison Falls National Park, as well Kidepo.
- Long trousers and long-sleeved shirts: These are ideal while on a walking tour (nature walks) in Lake Mburo National Park or Uganda gorilla trekking tours in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or chimp treks in Kibale National Park.
- Hardy cloves: These help during mountain hiking and Mountain gorilla tracking tours in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
A day packbag to keep all your safari essentials safe.
Personal toiletries like wet wipes toothpaste, toothbrush as well as tampons for women.
A mobile phone keeps you in touch with people at home.
Travel Documents: These include a passport, travel insurance, tickets, and a Yellow fever vaccination card.
Clothes for Safari in Uganda- What to Wear On A Safari in Uganda?
During your safari holiday in Uganda, as experienced tour operators, we advise you to put on eco-friendly clothes. This helps you blend in with nature!
Often, colors like Khaki, brown, and grey are ideal.
Please note that:
- Black is not ideal as it absorbs much heat during hot days.
2. Blue attracts Tsetse flies. This is so, especially in Uganda’s savannah parks like Queen Elizabeth National Park, Murchison Falls National Park, and Lake Mburo National Park, etc.
3. Bright colors like white can easily pick up dust while on a safari.
4. Camouflaging clothes (military resembling attires) are not ideal in most African countries, Uganda inclusive.
Hotels in Uganda | Safari Lodges in Uganda to Use During Your Safari
While on a Uganda trip holiday, you shouldn’t worry about your accommodation!
Accommodation in Uganda ranges from luxury, midrange, and budget, therefore, it’s pocket friendly to all travelers.
a. Recommended Luxury Safari Lodges (Hotels) in Uganda
- Paraa Safari Lodge in Murchison Falls National Park
- Ishasha Wilderness Camp in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Buhoma Lodge in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Nkuringo Safari Lodge in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- Mweya Safari Lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Primate Lodge in Kibale forest national park
- Bird Nest Resort around Lake Bunyonyi- commonly used by travelers from a gorilla safari in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
- Kyaninga Lodge in Kibale National Park
- Apoka Safari Lodge in Kidepo Valley National Park
- Ndali Lodge in Kibale National Park
- Trackers Safari Lodge in Bwindi.
b.Popular Midrange Lodges in Uganda
- Murchison River Lodge in Murchison Falls National Park
- Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Engaji Lodge in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Isunga Lodge in Kibale National Park
- Pakuba Safari Lodge in Murchison Falls National Park
- Agandi Lodge in Bwindi national park
- Gorilla Mist Camp in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Enjojo Lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Kidepo Savannah Lodge- in Kidepo Valley National Park
- Nga Moru wilderness camp in Kidepo national park
- Kibale Forest Camp in Kibale National Park
- Agandi Lodge in Bwindi national park
c. Best Budget Safari Lodges in Uganda
Rwenzori View Guest House in Fort Portal town close to Kibale National Park.
- Pumba Safari Cottages in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Red Chili Rest Camp in Murchison Falls Park
- Ruhija Community Rest Camp in Bwindi national park
- Mweya Hostel in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Kitojo Guest Cottages in Kibale National Park
- Tinka’s Homestead in Kibale National Park
- Topi Lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Toro Fairway Hotel in Kibale forest national park
- Yes Hotel in Kibale forest national park
When Should I Go to Uganda? | What Is the Best Month to Visit Uganda?
When is the best time to visit Uganda for safaris? The Pearl of Africa Uganda can be visited all year round! However, the best time of year to visit Uganda is during the dry months of June-August and December-February.
During these months, there is nominal rainfall to inconvenience with all your safari activities and the trails are always drier.
These months are ideal for game viewing, mountain hiking as well as gorilla safari expeditions in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga National Park.
Migratory birds are present in November-April.
How to Get to and Around Uganda for A Safari?
While traveling to Uganda for a safari, you can either use air means or road transport. However, most of the tourists enter Uganda by air means.
Getting to Uganda By Air
There’re numerous international flights to Uganda and all land at Entebbe International Airport. And among these include:
Qatar Airways, etc.
Traveling to Uganda By Road
Coming for a trip to Uganda by road is only possible if you’re in Uganda’s neighboring countries like Rwanda, Kenya, Congo, Sudan, and Tanzania.
Normally, road means are used by travelers entering Uganda from Rwanda through the Katuna border.
In most cases, it’s used by tourists from Rwanda interested in Mountain gorilla safari trips in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Getting Around Uganda on A Safari
On your Uganda trips, you can travel by either road or air means however, road transport is commonly used.
Traveling in Uganda By Road-
Buses, shared taxis, special hires, self-drive or boda bodas are mainly used in Uganda. This is more common with backpackers.
Travelers who book their safaris through tour operators in Uganda will always be transferred in a safari vehicle. This package includes an airport pickup.
Traveling in Uganda By Air-
There’re various domestic flights in Uganda. These help you easily connect to major tourist places like Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, and Kidepo National Park.
Most of the domestic airport transfers in Uganda are done by Aerolink. Local tour operators in Uganda can help you book!
Is Uganda Good For Safaris? | Is Uganda Worth Visiting?
Often, visitors intending to undertake African safari holidays in Uganda wonder whether is Uganda a good place for safari. Please note that, for a wonderful experience on your holidays in Africa, you shouldn’t leave out Uganda.
Below is what makes Uganda different from any other destination:
1. Uganda Offers the Best Gorilla Trekking Safaris in East Africa-
Since Uganda holds almost 50% of the 1,063 Mountain gorillas on earth in its Bwindi national park and Mgahinga Gorilla NP, you shouldn’t look further for Mountain gorilla trekking tours.
Travel to Uganda for a remarkable encounter with the shy gentle giants (endangered Mountain gorillas) in their misty hilly environments.
2. Uganda Offers the Best Chimpanzee Tracking Experience in Africa
If planning to meet Chimpanzees in their natural habitat in E. Africa Africa, Uganda is the best place to go! Out of the 170,000-300,000 Chimpanzees on earth, Uganda holds over 5000 chimps.
Most chimpanzee trips in Uganda are done in Kibale National Park (the best area to spot primates in E. Africa as well as Africa).
3. Uganda Ranks Top Among the Best Birding Destinations in East Africa-
For birders intending to visit Africa, Uganda is a must not miss site! This country is blessed with a diversity of birds totaling over 1,090 bird species, which is over 50% of birds in Africa.
In Africa, Uganda is the best place to spot the rare Shoebill, Grauer’s Broadbill, Green-breasted Pitta, Shell’s Crimsonwing, Red-throated Bee-eaters, etc.
4. Uganda Is Among the Countries in Africa Offering the Best Wildlife Watching Encounters-
Among the countries in Africa, Uganda is one of the few countries holding all the Big Five! And among these include Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Buffalos, and Rhinos.
Traditionally, these were the most challenging animals to hunt on foot by big-game hunters!
On your safari holiday in Uganda, expect to encounter numerous amazing animals like Giraffes, Hippos, Giant Nile Crocs, and antelopes.
Other Reasons Why You Must Travel to Uganda-
5. Destination Uganda is the best site to spot tree-climbing Lions in Africa.
6. Uganda is the only place for gorilla habituation experience in Africa.
7. In Africa, Uganda is the best area for white water rafting.
8. Uganda is the Pearl of Africa. It’s undeniably blessed by God!
9. The country (Uganda) is blessed with a diverse amazing culture.
10. Uganda is one of the most affordable destinations for African safaris.
Is It Cheap to Visit Uganda for A safari? Is it Cheap to Visit Uganda?
Among the East African safari countries such as Rwanda, Kenya, and Tanzania, Uganda ranks top among the relatively cheap destinations. For example, a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda costs 700 USD while in Rwanda it’s 1500 USD!
Uganda is ideal for all classes of travelers whether budget or luxury travelers.
Note that, most of the prices in the country are charged in Ugandan Shillings as well as US Dollars.
How Much Does It Cost To Go On Safari in Uganda? | How Much Does A Safari in Uganda Cost?
How much is a tour in Uganda? Often, visitors expecting to undertake safaris to Uganda are always curious about the safari price.
However, note that there’s no clear price for safaris in Uganda! This is because the safari cost is determined by several factors including:
1. The number of days you’ll spend on a safari: Usually, long safaris are always more expensive than short trips in Uganda.
2. Activities to undertake on your holiday: Some safari activities are greatly more expensive than others. For example, a gorilla safari and wildlife trip is relatively more expensive than a wildlife safari alone.
3. Accommodation class to use on your safari: Travelers interested in using luxury accommodation should expect a high price for their safari than those who intend to go budget.
4. Safari vehicle to use: Using a 4×4 safari land cruiser on your trip is more expensive than using a safari van. This is so because their fuel consumption differs.
5. The number of people on a trip: Basically, the total cost of a Uganda safari increases with an increase in the number of travelers. This is because there will be a need for more safari services like accommodation.
How Many Days Should I Spend In Uganda?
This is a common query among travelers planning to travel to Uganda for a safari!
Generally, the number of days to spend on your wildlife tours in Uganda depends on your safari interests and budget.
Please note that normally, long trips yield a greater memorable experience as they give you a chance to explore a lot more than short trips.
What to Expect On A Safari in Uganda?
Your safari expectations should relate to the kind of safari package you intend to undertake during your Uganda trip!
For example, if you undertake a Chimpanzee, gorilla tracking and wildlife safari in Uganda, your expectations should be:
1. Encountering the endangered Mountain Gorillas in their misty and hilly habitat
2. Spotting Chimpanzees
3. Encountering several wild animals in Uganda. And among these include herds of Buffalos, Elephants, Zebras, Giraffes, Rhinos, and several antelopes as well as birds. Lions and Leopards are fairly easy to spot!
Is Uganda Safe to Visit for A Safari?
Undeniably, Uganda is pretty safe for all travelers from all corners of the world for tourism or any other business!
In East Africa, Uganda is considered the most politically stable country and holds the healthiest internal security agencies.
Also, while on your safari in any park, you’ll always be accompanied by armed Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) rangers. This ensures your safety in the jungle.
According to the UK Government’s foreign travel advice on Uganda, about 15,000 British nationals travel to Uganda per year and 99% end their tours trouble-free!
Please note that, though Uganda is safe, petty crimes like pick-pocketing and fraud occur! This is more common in big cities like Kampala just like it happens in other big cities of the world.
Top Tour Operators in Uganda to Travel With For Your Safari?
There’re various tour operators in Uganda. However, getting reliable tour operators is not always easy!
Below is a list of some of the best tour operators in Uganda you must book with your Uganda vacation:
Here are the best tour operators in Uganda;
- Prime Safaris And Tours Ltd
- Wild Gorilla Safaris
- Safari Uganda Safari Tour
- Uganda Birding Safaris
- A Uganda Safari
- Gorilla Trekking Uganda
- Gorilla Safaris & Tours
- Africa Safaris Tours
Best Uganda Safari Packages A Must Not Miss During Your Holiday in Uganda?
There are different safari packages in Uganda and some of the best tours in Uganda include:
4 Days Chimpanzees And Uganda Wildlife Safari – Kibale National Park & Murchison Falls National Park
5 Days Uganda Primates Safari, Kibale National Park & Murchison Falls National Park
For a memorable Africa safari holiday, you shouldn’t miss out on your Uganda tour! This country (Uganda) offers different charming safaris which are hardly found in most African countries for example, chimpanzee and gorilla trekking in Uganda expeditions.
Other charming Uganda tour trips include game-viewing, as well as birding trips, etc.
Book with us now your African safari Uganda tour for a remarkable experience!
Top Uganda Safari Packages
16 Days Uganda Safari Tour, Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Wildlife, Scenery, & Community Uganda Tour
15 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Chimpanzees & Gorilla Trekking, Wildlife, Scenery, Community Uganda Tour
14 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Wildlife, Scenery, Community Uganda Tour
12 Days Uganda Safari – Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Wildlife, Scenery, & Community Uganda Tours
10 Days Uganda Safari Tour – Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzees, Wildlife, Community Tours & Lake Bunyonyi
9 Days Safari Uganda Tour – Gorilla Trekking, Chimps, Wildlife, Lake Bunyonyi & Community Uganda Tour
9 Days Nile Perch Fishing Safari in Uganda, Fishing in Uganda Tour
8 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari Tour – Chimpanzees & Gorilla Trekking, Game & Scenery Viewing
8 Days Uganda Safari – Gorillas, Wildlife, Chimpanzees & Scenery Viewing Uganda Tour
7 Days Uganda Safari Tour- Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi, Chimpanzee Tracking in Kibale National Park And Wildlife Viewing in Queen Elizabeth Park
7 Days Luxury Uganda Fishing Safari – Sport Fishing in Uganda Tour
5 Days Uganda Primates Safari- Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi, Chimpanzee Trekking in Kibale Forest
5 Days Uganda Safari- Chimpanzee Trekking in Kibale & Wildlife Uganda Tour in Queen
5 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari – Wildlife Viewing & Chimpanzee Trekking Uganda Tour
4 Days Uganda Safari Tour – Wildlife Safari-Murchison, Chimpanzees Trekking-Kibale
4 Days Uganda Safari – Wildlife & Chimpanzee Tracking Safari In-Uganda Tour Queen Elizabeth &-Kibale Forest Parks
3 Days Uganda Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Kibale Uganda Tour | 3 Day Chimpanzee Trekking Uganda Safari in Kibale National Park
3 Days Murchison Falls Safari in Uganda Tour | 3-Day Murchison Falls National Park Safari
2 Days Murchison Falls Safari in Uganda Tour | 2-Day Murchison Falls National Park Safari
2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Uganda Tour Kibale National Park | 2 Days Chimps Trekking Kibale Forest
2023/2024 Guide for Uganda Safaris & Tour Holidays